Friday 170818


Working Wounded Games – 
Many of you have seen Jeff around the Box mainly in the afternoon classes. Jeff had a workplace accident last year that left him with an amputated index finger, amputated middle finger and an amputated ring finger. Jeff has posted some information on the Community Board for support to help get him to College Park Maryland in October to participate in the Working Wounded Games. He will be selling t-shirts in support of the fundraiser.

Written By: Jeff

On July 6, 2016 I was at work at Tesoro Refinery machining a pump shaft when the glove I was wearing got caught and pulled my hand into the moving shaft. For a split second the picture in my head was my arm getting pulled in and it taking an inch at a time up my arm. I think that was part of the strength that I had to pull back, yanking my hand out. I stepped back and had a fountain of blood coming out the end of my hand. I covered it with my other hand for a minute and called to one of my coworkers to get on the radio and call rescue. I let go of my hand for a second, blood was going everywhere and I did not know exactly what was missing or broken. I just knew that it was bad and I had to get the blood stopped. The Rescue team are other coworkers doing their everyday tasks and sometimes it might be several minutes before someone shows up. We have an onsite clinic at the refinery and I was only about a hundred yards from it. I asked one of my coworkers to walk to the clinic with me. I didn’t know if I would walk in but knew each step was a step closer to help.

I walked into the clinic and Brett called the nurse to help. She took me to the sink and started to wash it off. I told her to get all the gauze that they had and start packing and wrapping my hand. There was nothing she could do there. I told her if it bleeds through just keep wrapping until the bleeding slows or stops. (I am on the ski patrol and a lot of times was first on a scene and had to be in charge of an  accident. No time for going into shock here). By now people are starting to show up to the clinic. Members of the rescue team, health and safety, refinery manager and my supervisor had arrived. They get the bleeding stopped and I told them I needed some oxygen to calm myself down.  They sat me down and put the oxygen on me. I hear on the radio that the paramedics and ambulance are at the gate.

My boss asks me who I want him to call. I tell him to call my wife Holly. We had just had our six month anniversary. The paramedics came in and start cutting my coveralls off and loaded me up and away we went. They put the IV in my arm as we were rolling out of the refinery. After they got the IV placed, they gave me something for the pain. I then asked one of the paramedics to call my son Joshua.

We got to the U of U hospital and it was very busy. They had to get a room ready. There is good and bad about going to a trauma 1 hospital. The good being they have a lot of great doctors. The bad side was that my injury was serious, but not life threatening. I arrived at the U of U at about 3:30 in the afternoon. I finally went into surgery at about 11:00 p.m. when an O.R. room finally was freed up. I was in surgery until about 5:00 a.m. I was finally taken upstairs to a room. At about 8:00 a.m. the surgeon came in and told me what the damage was. My index finger was amputated at the knuckle. My middle finger was amputated one joint further out and my ring finger was amputated one joint further out. They had all been de-gloved, meaning the skin and everything except the bone had been removed. When the lathe took my fingers, it also pulled out all the tendons in my forearm up to my elbow (still attached to my amputated fingers). They cut my forearm open as it was so swollen they were afraid it would burst. They left it open to get as much blood flow as possible to the tips of my remaining fingers. My hand and wrist were tore up. They had 10 pins holding everything together. The Dr. said they would leave my arm open for a few days, then would go back in and sew it up. They had done the first skin graft from my hip to help cover my fingers. The next day they took me back into surgery and did another skin graft from my hip to cover my arm and pull it back together to stitch it up as much as possible.  I spent 5 days in the hospital.

Over the course of 8 months I had 6 surgeries, 3 skin grafts, 10 pins, a plate, half a dozen screws and hundreds of stiches.

The last surgery was on Feb. 14, 2017, doing what they call a revision. They amputated the rest of my middle finger and some more of my ring finger. They also did a Tenolysis cutting me from almost the elbow to the tip of my little finger, trying to do revision on all the scars on my forearm as well.

This accident changed my life but it won’t stop me. I had an impairment rating done in June and they say I am 34% physically impaired from my accident and surgeries. I won’t let it stop me and today I do about 90% of what I did before the accident. On the night of the accident my surgeon told me he didn’t think I would lift weights again. Today I can dead lift without any assistance 135#, clean and jerk 135#. I do burpees with the assistance of push up blocks because of the limited mobility of my wrist.     


Saturday Schedule:
6a – Oly  Class
7a – WOD
8a — Striking WOD 
8a – Skills class (Come in and work a goat, strength, etc)

9a –WOD

Sunday Schedule:
9a — WOD

Dynamic Warm-Up – Mobility

Prepare  for..

 A. WOD:

Light Isabel, 4 min cap
30 Snatches for Time   95/65

Light Karen, 8 min cap
150 Wall Balls  14/10

Light Grace, 4 min cap.
30 Clean and Jerks for Time  95/65

If you normally do these at 135/95 and 20/14, do them at 95/65 and 14/10, etc.

Strict time caps, get the work done. 3 separate scores. If you don’t finish in time (finish in time!) then your score is total reps. 

Drop your ego, drop the weight, move fast, make it hurt. No excuses for moving slow today.

* Scale accordingly to maintain consistency of good mechanics, while applying intensity through rounds.   Ask your coach for help.



This was a tough week. Recover well today. Make adjustments if needed. If you’re completely thrashed, ditch today and spend some time on a bike, rower, or running. 

Warm up

90 sec bike, moderate
12 rower like ups, slow and controlled
20 alternating single leg cone touches

Alternate 3 sets
Kang squat
3-5 @4021, rest 60 sec


GHD hip ex
6-8 @2020 hold a DB at chest if needed, but keep the tempo


Back squat
5X2 @30X0, increase load from last week if possible, but final set should be 90% ROW, not 90% of 1RM  Again, if your legs are fried, take it easy today.


Alternate 4 sets
RNT reverse lunge, @20X0 rest 60
6-8 2 sets
4-6 2 sets


Tuck L sit on parallels
20-30 sec
Rest 60

Leave a Reply